Many community groups need funding support but either don’t have the time or ability to write their own grants. This is where Hui E! can help.
We’ve developed our Hoa Pūtea Moni / Grant Writing Support project where we match small / medium community groups with volunteer grant writers.
What we offer small / medium community groups
- A matching service to help find you a suitable volunteer grant writer – it’s FREE
- A volunteer grant writer to help draft a one funding application for your community group (primarily for Lottery COVID-19 Community Wellbeing Fund and Ethnic Communities Development Fund)
- Phone / email support from our Kaiwhakahaere Kaupapa (Project Manager) about your funding application or work with the grant writer.
We define “small / medium community groups” as those either with revenue under $2m or fully voluntary run.
Community Groups: Sign up here to get a volunteer grant writer
Grant Writers: Sign up here to become a volunteer grant writer
What we don’t offer
- We can’t offer an ongoing volunteer grant writer to help you. Your grant writer is available to write one funding application for your group only
- We don’t offer a project or service design service. You must come with your project already decided and ready to explain to the grant writer
- We can’t offer any funding from Hui E!
Our work during the COVID-19 lockdown | He hoa pūtea moni mō te hohenga hapori“I want to convey my deepest gratitude to Hui E! for gifting us a writer at a time when we needed them the most. I probably wouldn’t have applied for that fund as it would have fallen in the too hard basket when our families needed us the most, and we were stretched beyond capacity.” – grant recipient
While the country hunkered down into COVID-19 Level 4 lockdown in late March 2020, many community groups were in overdrive. They had pivoted from their everyday activities to ensure their communities were receiving the necessities they needed to survive.
Building on our connections stretching from Bluff to Cape Reinga, Hui E! was ideally positioned to help government funding reach deserving community groups during the Government’s COVID-19 response.
Our team worked quickly, matching volunteer grant writers with community groups. We used social media to reach out to the many groups we knew – many of whom weren’t aware they were eligible for funding or lacked capability or capacity to do anything about it. We created grant writing guidelines, budget and funding guidelines, and other online resources to help our grant writers draft applications.
Applications for grants were often completed within one to three days of matching a volunteer to a community group. Due to Hui E!’s involvement, 55 community groups applied for approximately $175,000 of funding they would otherwise not have been able to access.Read more about our Hoa Pūtea Moni / Funding Partnership Project during the COVID-19 lockdown here