Hui E! Community Aotearoa’s Board and staff are committed to the spirit of Te Tiriti o Waitangi – a true partnership between Tangata Whenua and Tangata Tiriti, who share power equally, celebrate cultural difference, and collectively improve health and wellbeing for all without prejudice.
Whakapapa | Our Background
Hui E! Community Aotearoa was formed in 2014 and builds on the legacy of ANGOA (Association of Non-government Organisations in Aotearoa) and Social Development Partners. We a peak body for the tangata whenua, community, and voluntary sector in Aotearoa. The Trust Deed of Hui E! Community Aotearoa states:
“Te Tiriti o Waitangi must be visible and real in our community and our nation and embedded within our organisation, using a Treaty relationships framework.”Hui E! Community Aotearoa Trust Deed
Since its establishment, Hui E! has actively engaged in ensuring Te Tiriti o Waitangi is embedded in our organisation and our mahi.
This Statement of Intent outlines how we will work to implement an enduring Treaty relationships framework.
Whakamōhiotia ana e Mātou | We Acknowledge
Hui E! acknowledges that Te Tiriti o Waitangi (te Tiriti) was signed between Tangata Whenua and the Crown.
We are committed to the spirit of te Tiriti – a true partnership between Tangata Whenua and Tangata Tiriti, which shares power equally, celebrates cultural difference, and collectively improves health and wellbeing for all without prejudice.
Tō Mātou Whakaaro | Our Intention
Hui E! will:
- implement a Treaty Relationships model throughout our organisation, beginning at the governance level.
- develop and enhance our values and tikanga to reflect our intentions.
- model the behaviour of true partnership when leading mahi within the Sector.
- advocate for the Treaty Relationships model in all mahi we participate in.
- commit to continuous education, growth, and development in our knowledge and understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi; and share our learning with the tangata whenua, community, and voluntary sector in Aotearoa.
Hui E! acknowledges that our actions are supported by our shared values and guided by our agreed tikanga.
Ā Mātou Whanonga Pono | Our shared values
We affirm our obligation to Te Tiriti o Waitangi through these values. Our values are grouped into Pou (values) and Kawa (pathway).
Ngā Pou represents the four pillars of our whare with its strong foundations. In recognition of the diversity of all the peoples and cultures that have woven Hui E! and keeping in mind the strength of the four values (Pou) that bind us.
Kawa is our pathway forward and our journey ahead. Moving from the world of disconnect into the world of light and awareness together.
Ngā Pou | Our Pillars
- Kaitiakitanga: Our duty, our heritage, our legacy that we are collectively responsible for protecting and enhancing.
- Manaakitanga: We rise by lifting others and we are thoughtful and caring in all our dealings with others.
- Ōritetanga: Making decisions together to achieve equity within the sector is at the heart of what we do.
- Hihiritanga: Doing things better and doing better things; we are curious and innovative, always striving for improvement.
Kawa | Our Pathway
- Whanaungatanga: Together we are more, connected by a powerful common purpose, enriched by each other, and bound by mutual respect.
- Rangatiratanga: Excellence in all we do and growing leadership within the tangata whenua, community and voluntary sector.
- Manatika (Social Justice): Together we can address injustice and take care of our sector through advocating for tika, pono and aroha.
- Ata Wetewete: Through a process we will proceed with thoughtfulness and separate the threads to progress our work forward.